Friday, February 6, 2009

A new day a new Lesson

"When I was seventeen, I walked into the jungle. And by twenty-one, I walked out. And by God, I was rich!" Uncle Ben~ Death of a Salesman: Arthur Miller

Today's lesson was about reacting and creating a scene. Okay so this exercise sounds easy enough but let me tell you it was a little tricky. It was an improve assignment for 4 actors to go on stage and create a scene without words. We each had different letters and #'s we had to use as text. Which for be me being dyslexic was a really hard task that actually the creating of the scene wasn't as hard but to remember which letter I was on and which one came next. I had U-Z again doesn't sound hard but believe when your up there you'll realize it. And yes I do know my letters I'm not an Idiot. LOL Well maybe sometimes but believe me I won't be announcing that to the auditors! HAHA

Alright I know this is going to sound a little crazy and maybe a little weird but I noticed when I act I don't think about what I'm doing or even saying I just react and hope for the best. HAHA. I'm not sure it's a bad thing or a good one. The only bad thing I can see about this is that I don’t know if my performance is good or not. Hopefully it is, but I'm a little worried about me developing a bad habit. Anyone know? This is a little perplexing to me! Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya! Peter_Sunn from actor's forum. Well that habit you are talking about is generally a good thing in the end, but it won't work if you don't have a well contemplated character to back it up. You see a character doesn't think about a script, or what the audience should see her do, she just reacts spontaneously and therefore, so should an actor.
    BUT how do we know it is the character reacting and not the actor? Well you will know.. what does it feel like. do you have the character (don't beat yourself up if you don't yet)
    trace back your reactions.. are they based on your past and your life, or the past and the life of the character you designed? (and yes, you need to create a past and a life for your character for this to happen.. and it needs to have a lot of detail.. then you need to contemplate the characters memories in 1st person so your brain gets used to having the pictures without you having to hold them there)

    helpful?
    anyway, my blog here is http://northlion.blogspot.com/ (I haven't updated in ages though.. perhaps it is time for an update..)

    Keep in touch! See you!

    ReplyDelete